Today’s Annual General Meeting, the first of the newly merged R&C Euston Tower Branch, was one of the best we’ve held.
Mark Serwotka gave an informative speech, updating us on the current position of PCS’s national campaigns, providing a realistic view of the challenges we face and stressing the importance of a strong YES/YES result in the pensions ballot, which starts this Friday (24th February).
The results of the branch elections were announced, with Anna Owens and Len Shelley re-elected as Branch Secretary and Assistant Secretary respectively. All other positions were unopposed. The branch also unanimously voted to nominate the PCS Left Unity slates for the Group Executive Committee (GEC) and National Executive Committee (NEC).
The motions we debated ranged from workplace issues to Stephen Lawrence and from national campaigns to worldwide solidarity. It was good to see members participating, many even staying beyond the two hours allotted, with a range of views heard.
For Group Conference:
- Privatisation in HMRC Contact Centres
- Privatisation in DMB
- Opposition to Single Compliance Processing in SME Local Compliance (to be amended as agreed)
- Grading of Staff – Local Compliance (to be amended as agreed)
- HMRC Employee Relations
- Political Use of the Intranet
For National Conference:
- Stephen Lawrence Campaign (to be amended as agreed)
- Institutional Racism and Public Sector Cuts
- Affiliation – Solidarity with MENA Workers Network
- The 2012 Olympic Games
- ATOS (to be amended as agreed)
You can read the motions themselves in the agenda (.doc). These are the original motions before any amendments agreed at the AGM. The newly elected Branch Committee and officers are also listed in the agenda, along with the GEC and NEC nominations.
These are a few photos of the meeting. We’ll get some video up over the next couple of days. Some will be public (on YouTube) and some will be in the branch members area of the website.